Popular places of historical and general interest in the City of Como and around the South Western arm of Lake Como. In addition, we have provided the address and Google map link for further information about each place.
Broletto di Como
Piazza del Duomo, 22100 Como
The Broletto di Como adjoins the ancient Cathedral (Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta-Duomo di Como). The construction dates back to 1215 and was built in the Gothic-Romanesque style while the Renaissance elements of the facade date back to the 15th century.
The Broletto is currently used as a congress hall and for art exhibitions.
The Teatro Sociale theatre was designed by architect Giuseppe Cusi. Construction started in early 1812 and finished in August 1813. In 1854 an additional thirty-eight new boxes were added for a total of 98 and re-opened in December 1855.
Among the performers who appeared during the 19th and early 20th centuries were Paganini, Giuditta Pasta, and Francesco Tamagno.
In the 1930s the theatre was turned into a cinema for a while. However, in 1944 it became the alternative opera house for Milan’s La Scala when it was damaged during the war. After major works and remodeling took place, it now has 900 seats with five tiers.
The Tempio Voltiano is a museum dedicated to Alessandro Volta, a scientist and the inventor of the electric battery. Alessandro Volta was born in Como in 1745 and died in 1827
In 1800 Alessandro Volta invented the ‘Voltaic Pile’ an early version of the electric battery. Inside the Temple is a small museum with equipment and documents on display that Alessandro Volta had used to carry out his experiments.
The Villa del Balbianello is famous for its terraced gardens overlooking Lake Como. The villa is located in the Comune of Lenno. Built-in 1787 on the former site of a Franciscan monastery.
The Villa is also known as one of the film locations for the James Bond movie Casino Royale’ filmed in 2006, starring Daniel Craig as the MI6 agent James Bond. It was also used as a film location in the Star Wars feature film.
The Villa del Balbianello is now owned by the National Trust of Italy and part of the association of Grandi Giardini Italiani and is open to the public.
The villa was built at the end of the 17th century by the Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici. In 1843 the villa at Tremezzo was a wedding gift to Princess Carlotta and Georg II of Saxen-Meiningen from her mother Princess Marianne of Nassau the wife of Albert Frederick Augustus, King of Saxony.
The villa became more commonly known as Villa Carlotta. Now a beautifully restored museum and maintained gardens that are open to the public covering over 70.000 square metres. There is an entry charge with concessions.
The Villa Melzi D’Eril is located in Bellagio and was designed by Giocondo Albertolli in 1808 for Francesco Melzi d’Eril. The Villa Melzi d’Eril is a private residence and not open to the public. However, the gardens are open to the public, usually from the 28th of March until the 31st of October.
The English-style garden was designed by the architect Luigi Canonica and includes sculptures, American redwood trees, Japanese maple trees and a statue of the Egyptian Goddess Pacht.
The gardens are so peaceful and tranquil, a must place to visit in the Summer months.